Tuesday, June 28, 2005


We are getting closer everyday to the completion of the basement remodeling project. The walls are now back in place, the painting is almost finished (navajo white walls and white trim) and we found some porcilin tile today that should work well. I also had an electrician out today to install some new outlets and circuits for the sump pumps (don't want them tripping in a storm) as well as a new ceiling fan in the guest room for all you sleepover guests.

The other fun thing I was able to do when the walls were torn up was have some catagory 5 ethernet cable and two jacks put in the walls and run to a router upstairs. This will allow the basement to have "wired" internet access which is faster than my "wireless" set-up around the rest of the house. I'm getting ready for digital convergence when voice, data, video and all served throught a common digital gateway. Basically every device in your home is networked and is interoperable with the others. Of course, entertainment will be the first application for this new world so a Media PC with a HD tv will show up down there before I start networking the stove or washing machine.

Oh yeah, one more thing, I hate Cox Cable. They used to be my hero's but they completely messed up a simple request for them to install a new outlet and digital services line in the basement. I'm looking at satellite in the near future...The only good thing is that they failed to either show up on time or at all four times resulting in a $19.99 credit per instance. An $80 credit will knock my cable bill down quite a bit this month. Those bastards.... Posted by Hello

No comments: