Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Brain Age



So I took the gamer plung and bought a new Nintendo DS Lite game player and a copy of Brain Age today. This is the newest portable game player from Nintendo and the game is aimed at aging Baby Boomers. I picked it up to help me with my mobile device, health and older adults research I'm doing with the Persuasive Technology Lab at Stanford. This game is actually suppose to keep you sharp by testing your brain on a regular basis. I've only just begun playing with it but the first quick test involves looking at the screen as colored words come up and speaking the color of the text and not what the word says. For instance, if Yellow comes up on the screen but the letters are blue, you need to say "blue". It's harder than it sounds. It also made me do 25 quick calculations. The screen will show 3x8 and you need to write the answer on the screen as quickly as possible to get a better score. It's very interesting.

It's still raining but the electricity has been on and the pumps running. The pumps only need to run when large quantities of water come down but with the ground is so saturated, an inch in a hour will get things pumping. It's suppose to end soon and a few sunny days are in the forecast. It turns out that this is the wettest June on record and beats the 1972 Anges Hurricaine floods that killed hundreds in West Virginia. If we get another inch, it will be the 2nd wettest month in this area on record ever. It's enough already...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dork

Mark said...

Please, this is my first video game ever, unless you count Wolfenstien that I used to play on a pc. This is for purely academic purposes.

Kumie said...

Wolfenstein was tremendous. "Achtung"! I got that for my Xbox, but the Xbox version sucks. Too hard to move around.

Anonymous said...

yeah, that is purely a line of bs :) you have been dying to get one of those so you could be one of the cool kids. hee hee hee