Thursday, September 15, 2011

Coaching is Hard

So I've started my first coaching gig with the boys flag football team and I'm finding that keeping the kids on task, engaged, and having a good time requires a ton of energy. I've been focusing on defense while the head coach is working on offense and getting 6 kids to understand the positions in a pretty fluid game is wearing me out.

Now a couple of them really understand the game and you can use shorthand to explain what I want them to do while others need every scenario described to them. I put one sweet kid at cornerback for the first time and I said, cover the tight end if he goes to the flank for a pass and don't let anyone (running back) around you. He, then asked "I should pull their flag, right?".

We have a pretty good team and our first scrimmage is this Saturday. Wish us luck pulling flags.

No comments: