Saturday, April 19, 2014

Spoofed E-mail

Everyone,

Sorry to say but you have been getting spoofed email from someone (thing) that hijacked my AOL contact list.  These email are not coming from any of my actual machines or the actual AOL account.  The jackass program is sending as if It’s coming from my AOL account but is it actually coming from another email server and address.  (you can view source and hunt through the code to find the actual email address)

I believe Nicole and I both had our AOL contact lists copied from our ipads in Italy (we did not have computers with us).  All our computers were powered off during our trip so it’s not something running on one or our computers here at home and the offending email do not show up in our sent folders.  It’s possible, that the router we were using at the apartment was compromised in some way.   However it happened, they seem to have found a way into AOL contact lists and not the other providers we use.   

I don’t use my AOL account much anymore and my contact list was only 19 addresses while Nicole’s is much larger.  We are back in the states now and have changed passwords but since the contact list was stolen and our email addresses are being spoofed, you will continue to receive the stupid e-mail with a link ending in PHP.  Never click on a link sent to you that has a PHP extension as a general rule.

Nicole and I can’t stop the email from being sent but you can mark the email as span when you receive them and if everyone does this, eventually the Internet will find a way to block this or make the offender move on.  Reporting these as spam should not actually effect receipt of email from our addresses since they are not actually being sent by our addresses. 

On another note, I’ve been getting spoofed email from some of my contacts lately (all AOL users and users that don’t use AOL anymore but never closed down the account) as well but most of them have been showing up in my spam filter.  Do a search on AOL spoofing and you will find the problem is happening all over the place. This may be a bigger problem or just a flare up of something that has been happening for years. 


No comments: