Sunday, September 14, 2014

Productive Sunday

Beautiful Fall day here in Alexandria. 70 degrees with low humidity, I almost built my first fire of the season last night but a roaring fire with all the windows open seemed wrong. The fire season isn't that far off now anyway. Tackling projects around the house is way easier with this weather. We cleaned out the shed, changed oil and tuned up the generator, cleaned the screen porch replaced the floater valve on the hall bathroom toilet. Floater valve replacement is a new skill I learned a few months ago when I replaced one upstairs. I used to pay a plumber $90 to do this fairly straight forward repair but I'm turning into an expert.

The other thing about replacing floater valves and changing oil in the generator is the feeling of accomplishment. Nothing beats the good feeling after successfully fixing a problem. My work life is often filled with big problems that require multiple steps over weeks or years to solve. These problems don't return a sense of accomplishment like the small problems that if resolved successfully pay you back immediately.

Speaking of long term investments, the boys and I went up to the park for some football practice today as well. We threw,ran and caught passes for about an hour. We've been doing this for years and I was astounded at how good they've become. They both throw really well and they have developed great hands. All these years of trying to get them to understand good fundamentals of throwing and catching is paying off. This is going to be a fun football season to watch.

Sent from my iPad

No comments: