Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Two Carpenters


















Mary Carpenter died last night from complications from a recent fall.  She was my great Aunt and the boys great, great Aunt I guess.  We only visited her and Oliver once with the boys but they enjoyed seeing the littlest Carpenters.  Oliver died a little more than a year ago.  They were both great people, pretty much like an extra set of Grandparents to me, Jeff and Rachel.  They didn't have any kids so they treated us like we were their own.  Mary left a voice mail on the machine a few days ago that I just picked up this weekend.  I don't always check our home voice mail that often and when I got it, it was too late to call back.  Her message was simple, she said "take care of each other"  We will and she will be missed.

My uncle Dennis Carpenter proceeded her in death by two hours last night.  My Dad's only brother who like Mary and Oliver, didn't have any kids.  My Aunt Carole has been dealing with Alzheimers taking him away for over a decade.  The boys never met him because he was not really capable of meeting them back when we were in DeKalb, where this picture was taken.  I realized I don't even have any digital pictures of him and will have to pull out the photo album to get some images.  I remember Denny always had a big laugh and keen interest in what we were doing.  I'm glad he's at peace now. The disease he had was horrendous.  He too will be missed.

Tough day for the Carpenter clan but a good time to reflect on two wonderful people. 


No comments: